• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Palisade owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Wind noise and buffering in Hyundai Palisade

Mickey

Reaction score
Just had my 2020 Limited with 32000 miles on it updated with the latest wind noise updates and it really stopped all air noise that you would here in a cross wind on both sides of the car!
Good to know. Thanks for posting. Did you bring it in for something else and they also asked you if you wanted the recommended TSB done?

Mr68

Reaction score
I took my 2020 Limited in for an oil change yesterday and I brought along a copy of lineman42's post about getting the wind noise updates installed and problem resolved. When I asked about the wind noise update before showing the service advisor the copy of the post, I was told it didn't apply to my model. I then showed the advisor the post and she said she would have to check with her service manager who wasn't there that day. I gave her the printout and asked that she check when the Service Manager returned. She agreed.
When the oil change was completed and I was checking out, she said the technician had ordered the parts and I would be contacted to set up an appointment when they came in. Thanks to lineman42 for his post. Hope my repair is as successful as his.

G

G-184847

I took my 2020 Limited in for an oil change yesterday and I brought along a copy of lineman42's post about getting the wind noise updates installed and problem resolved. When I asked about the wind noise update before showing the service advisor the copy of the post, I was told it didn't apply to my model. I then showed the advisor the post and she said she would have to check with her service manager who wasn't there that day. I gave her the printout and asked that she check when the Service Manager returned. She agreed.
When the oil change was completed and I was checking out, she said the technician had ordered the parts and I would be contacted to set up an appointment when they came in. Thanks to lineman42 for his post. Hope my repair is as successful as his.
FYI, you may want to follow up with your dealership. I had my 2020 Palisade Limited in for an oil change in May and they ordered the same wind noise kit. I never got a phone call. When I had it in again earlier this week (for a different matter), they installed the kit and I would not even have known but for my invoice.

vis84pal

Reaction score
Just dropped my 2021 off for this and was told they have a service bulliten for it. Will see when I pick it up.
Hi Ragu
Whats your month/year of manufacture? mine is apr 2021 and have whistle noise on the driver side.
Pls share your tsb and the receipt if you don't mind

Mickey

Reaction score
NO, had to ask that it be done and then had to wait on parts!
OK Thanks. just in case others have not seen it, attached is the TSB regarding the wind noise problem.

Attachments

• Wind Noise TSB 2021.pdf
    844.3 KB · Views: 82

BOBNARIZONA

Reaction score
I have a lot of wind noise also!! Hoping they have a fix soon

I noticed that if I have the ac set to recirculate the air the noise from the windows is lower. Set it to flow through and the sound doubles.
As for the noise from the mirrors, I am still waiting for Hyundai service to get back to me. Only been 2 weeks waiting for an answer. Dealer was NO help at all.

lineman42

Reaction score
I noticed that if I have the ac set to recirculate the air the noise from the windows is lower. Set it to flow through and the sound doubles.
As for the noise from the mirrors, I am still waiting for Hyundai service to get back to me. Only been 2 weeks waiting for an answer. Dealer was NO help at all.
I do not think that the dealership gets any money back for doing this upgrade so you have to keep pushing them to fix the problem. Its how bad they want you as a buyer of your next car from them, if they really get on top of it right away!

Mr68

Reaction score
FYI, you may want to follow up with your dealership. I had my 2020 Palisade Limited in for an oil change in May and they ordered the same wind noise kit. I never got a phone call. When I had it in again earlier this week (for a different matter), they installed the kit and I would not even have known but for my invoice.
Thanks for the heads-up. I will follow-up next week.

BOBNARIZONA

Reaction score
I do not think that the dealership gets any money back for doing this upgrade so you have to keep pushing them to fix the problem. Its how bad they want you as a buyer of your next car from them, if they really get on top of it right away!
Actually by law the dealer has to be paid the full list price of the parts and his listed labor rate. I know mechanics who love doing recalls. After they do a couple and know how to do it quickly they are usually completing the repair in less time than what they get paid for.

Jack portrr

Reaction score
I assume you had a 2020?

Hey everyone. I’m new here and have been debating on purchasing a Palisade. I have narrowed it down to a Palisade and a Telluride, but like the Pali more. But if the wind/whistling is a continuing issue, I may go with the Telluride.

I’ve read a lot of threads about the wind issue but can’t determine if this is mostly a 2020 issue or has it been resolved with the 2021? Appreciate all the feedback.
I have the 2021calligraphy I don't have any issues with wind noise

BOBNARIZONA

Reaction score
I had part of the update kit done on my 2021. Really reduced the amount of noise off the mirrors. Only get a little bit of noise when I am doing 75 mph and have a strong cross wind. But I have noticed that the noise from the doors now seems louder. Not sure why the dealer was only authorized to do part of the update and not the whole update. I took the car in last week for an oil change and asked them to see if they could do the rest of the update. They said they could not duplicate the problem so no update. Now I am going to contact Hyundai Customer Service to see what can be done. Other than that the car has been great.

elp_jc

Reaction score
I have a 2021, and it has hardly any wind noise on the front windows (they're double-pane), even at elevated speeds, so that tells me how bad Hyundai's QC really is. All 2021s were supposed to have whatever fix the 2020s had, already incorporated at the factory. Having said that, I can definitely hear wind noise from the rear window (not double-pane), which is kind of annoying. However, that's only the case on smooth asphalt, since with any kind of rough surfaces, the road noise it terrible, and drowns out the rear wind noise. I expected it to be quieter, but it's reportedly on the quieter side of the segment, so guess it's acceptable then. I settle with not having any mechanical issues with it, and so far in 8K miles, it's doing good. Hope it stays that way :).

chris1276

Reaction score
I guess they didnt resolve the issue. Or in mine i could say. One week old palisade. From 90 kph
And up the wind noise at the back is unbearable.
That noise and the heated set not able to set on remote start in our canadian winter is my gripe.

Eric2203

Reaction score
I guess they didnt resolve the issue. Or in mine i could say. One week old palisade. From 90 kph
And up the wind noise at the back is unbearable.
That noise and the heated set not able to set on remote start in our canadian winter is my gripe.
They did resolve it and provided a TSB to detail how to fix the issue (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189990-0001.pdf), but your car may simply have a defect that they they need to fix. You said the noise is at the back. The TSB and the issue that everyone was complaining about in this thread refer to the front doors and mirrors, not the back. Your issue sounds different.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Only the front side windows are double-pane; the rear ones are not. And yes, I can also hear the wind noise from the rear windows as well, since I drive with the seat quite a bit to the rear. But I have to say that's nothing compared to the racket made by road/tire noise on rough asphalt, which is everywhere in this area. It's unbelievably loud, so I hear that most of the time. I can only hear the rear wind noise on pristine roads, which are rare here, so not a big deal to me.

BOBNARIZONA

Reaction score
Well, the update was short lived. Whistling noise from the mirrors came back. And of course Hyundai said to have a service manage take a ride with me so he could witness it. I have SEVERAL videos of it happening but I guess they are thinking I had somehow faked them all. Took the manager for a ride 15 miles up the freeway doing 75MPH + and of course it was a beautiful day out. No cross winds. No noise. And nothing they will do to fix the problem. Guess I will have to put the videos on tik-tok and other sites to get their attention.

OSJoyner

Reaction score
I had my 2020 Hyundai Palisade at the dealer on three different occasions before the wind noise (from the driver side door/window) was greatly diminished. They said they put insulation in the door panels and had previously replaced the mirror (which did not work).

elp_jc

Reaction score
Just as an FYI, if you have a strong cross wind, there might be additional noise on almost any vehicle, so that might not be considered a defect. I wouldn't complain about that, to be honest, since there's nothing that can be done IMO. My Tesla, with frame-less doors, gets ridiculously loud when that happens, but it's rare when that happens, so not a big deal to us. my 2021 is pretty quiet in front with the wind (it's a bit annoying to hear the wind noise thru the rear windows, which are not double-pane), and haven't had any such cross-wind issue... but road noise gets ridiculously high on rough asphalt, which is prevalent everywhere around where I live. Not sure which one is more annoying. Ha ha.