Wind noise and buffering in Hyundai Palisade

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Gene

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum, I have scheduled appt to fix this. This noise drives me crazy, to the point that I rented a car for long distance driving....
I am surprised Hyundai did not contact me and others to have this fixed. Honda dealership was always on top of recalls and fixes (should I go back to Honda?)....
Some palisades have wind noise and some don't. why would they call everyone in to fix a problem that isn't there.
the first palisade I test drove had wind noise, the one I have now is fine. If every Palisade had the problem I
would expect Hyundai would fix every Palisade.
The number of Palisades that have been reported to have a really bad wind noise is small compared to the number sold.
Looks like they have a fix which helps. Don't think some of the Palisades will ever be quiet. That is why a good test
drive is so important

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Alan_F

Reaction score
Based on what others have posted above, there appears to be two different but recent TSB's on wind noise.

The TSB number TSB 21-01-003H posted above and dated March 2021 seems to only apply to vehicles produced from 3/22/2019 - 12/31/2019. Although this "Campaign" is not an official recall (which would be a safety defect coordinated with the NHTSA), it is a mandatory TSB to be performed if the vehicle is brought into a dealer for any service reason, or if the vehicle is on the lot to be sold. The TSB says "Dealers must perform this Service Campaign whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair."

Then there is another TSB number 21-91-001-1 dated March 9, 2021 posted above by another member that seems to apply to vehicles produced from April 10, 2019 to September 28, 2020. The entire TSB was not reproduced above, so not sure if it also mandatory for vehicles in the shop for any reason.

Maybe someone can clarify what seems to be two separate but similar TSB's and get the full text of TSB number 21-91-001-1. Maybe ask a Service Advisor what the story is about the two different, but similar TSB's.

raggedy1

Reaction score
it looks to me like they are only addressing wind noise on the front doors. My issue now is the wind noise I hear from behind me, coming from the rear door. I know the rear doors do not have double-pane acoustic glass, but it's not so much the road noise through the glass that I hear, but it's wind noise. I think I only notice it now because the road and wind noise from the front glass and windshield is so hushed, all I do hear is coming from behind my left ear emanating from the rear door. Looks like I won't be bothering with a trip to the dealer since it doesn't look like rear door wind noise is addressed, and I'm probably expecting too much. Glad to see they've addressed the front door wind noise though!

steelers

Reaction score
it looks to me like they are only addressing wind noise on the front doors. My issue now is the wind noise I hear from behind me, coming from the rear door. I know the rear doors do not have double-pane acoustic glass, but it's not so much the road noise through the glass that I hear, but it's wind noise. I think I only notice it now because the road and wind noise from the front glass and windshield is so hushed, all I do hear is coming from behind my left ear emanating from the rear door. Looks like I won't be bothering with a trip to the dealer since it doesn't look like rear door wind noise is addressed, and I'm probably expecting too much. Glad to see they've addressed the front door wind noise though!
Perhaps if you spoke with the service manager,explained your rear window noise, he may have run into your particular concern in the past,and knows of a fix.

Mickey

Reaction score
Raggedy1,
Most of us that have complained about wind noise and/or whistle have reported it on the drivers side. Do you think that is mainly because we are the drivers and that is side of the vehicle we are on? I have not ridden in the car at highway speed with someone else driving so can't say it was originally quieter. Aren't both sides of the vehicle built the same including the side view mirrors? I had the original wind noise TSB done on the drivers door and it reduced the noise but later it started to whistle at times, but by that time the TSB had been pulled. Instead of returning to the dealer, I installed the 3/8" foam rope in most of the areas you have recommended and it greatly reduced or eliminated the noise and whistle. Thanks again for that help.

Do you think you will bother to take your car back to the dealer for these new TSBs which replace parts that were not included in the original TSB? If you do would you remove all your fixes first?

I will wait to see if others post good results with the latest TSBs.

Thanks,
Mickey

raggedy1

Reaction score
I had wind whistling in both driver passenger doors. I took a really long test drive too listening for noises. My test drive included residential streets, commercial areas, back road single lanes and freeway speed up to 90mph, and there was nothing that seemed out of the ordinary. But within a week of ownership I heard a faint whistle right around 50mph, and sometimes as low as 12mph if there was a slight crosswind. Then at freeway speeds if I got hit with a strong crosswind gust the car would create a loud whistle. I just post this because we all tell perspective buyers to do a thorough test drive before buying, but the wind noise and the stinky garlic interior may not be present at the time of purchase.

Will I take my car to the dealer for this new TSB? No. The fixes employed on the front doors has completely eliminated wind noises. My front doors I feel are vault quiet. I don’t want a service tech ripping apart my doors to fix something that doesn’t need fixing. I’ve owned new cars for 45 years and I have no confidence in getting my car back without a new scratch, or with misaligned panels. In fact, even my first trip to the Hyundai dealer to get them to try to correct the misaligned steering wheel and poor wheel alignment, all they did was chip the paint on two of my wheels and didn’t correct either issue they needed!

Sure, I could drive 40 minutes to a dealer, sit there for minimum two hours, and have them look at my rear doors for possible fixes only to tell me the TSB doesn’t address rear doors and their test drive doesn’t reveal anything out of the ordinary, but I’m gonna save myself the possible headache. LOL

I know I sound like a pessimist, but this comes from 45 years of visiting car dealer’s service shops.
I’m perfectly happy with my Palisade’s noise levels and I’ll even live with the slight garlic odor on hot days since it blows off within a minute.

I’d buy a Palisade again in a heartbeat. I punched in my car on Carvana to see what it’s worth, and the number I got back was 45,315. I’m amazed at how little it has depreciated in one year, but since there is no other car I would rather have up to 60k right now, I won’t be selling it and moving on.

Eric2203

Reaction score
Based on what others have posted above, there appears to be two different but recent TSB's on wind noise.

The TSB number TSB 21-01-003H posted above and dated March 2021 seems to only apply to vehicles produced from 3/22/2019 - 12/31/2019. Although this "Campaign" is not an official recall (which would be a safety defect coordinated with the NHTSA), it is a mandatory TSB to be performed if the vehicle is brought into a dealer for any service reason, or if the vehicle is on the lot to be sold. The TSB says "Dealers must perform this Service Campaign whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair."

Then there is another TSB number 21-91-001-1 dated March 9, 2021 posted above by another member that seems to apply to vehicles produced from April 10, 2019 to September 28, 2020. The entire TSB was not reproduced above, so not sure if it also mandatory for vehicles in the shop for any reason.

Maybe someone can clarify what seems to be two separate but similar TSB's and get the full text of TSB number 21-91-001-1. Maybe ask a Service Advisor what the story is about the two different, but similar TSB's.
The difference is that the first TSB is issued by Hyundai Canada (see bottom of page). The second one posted in this thread appears to be for the US. It doesn't say so, but it's obviously not the Canadian one and it matches the format of other US ones.

Folks in the US, use the number on the second TSB when talking to your dealer: 21-01-003H.

Alan_F

Reaction score
The difference is that the first TSB is issued by Hyundai Canada (see bottom of page). The second one posted in this thread appears to be for the US. It doesn't say so, but it's obviously not the Canadian one and it matches the format of other US ones.

Folks in the US, use the number on the second TSB when talking to your dealer: 21-01-003H.
Ok, for the second one (Hyundai USA TSB 21-01-003H), it says it is only for 2020 models with a production date between 3/22/2019 - 12/31/2019. That implies that fixes were made to the production line starting on 01/01/2020. Production date is available on a sticker in the driver's side door jamb.

elp_jc

Reaction score
Sounds like for those of us waiting to buy a new one should be out of the woods on the wind issue. But there are other potential issues, like the headrest odor, exploding moonroof glass, vibrating driveshafts on AWDs, etc. Hopefully all are history with the newest SUVs; we'll see :).

lineman42

Reaction score
called my service tech at airport Hyundai about the new tsb on the wind noise in my Palisade. He could not find it when he looked for new tsb 21-01-003H. He said that he would call Hyundai on Mon, to see what is going on!

nld138

Reaction score
called my service tech at airport Hyundai about the new tsb on the wind noise in my Palisade. He could not find it when he looked for new tsb 21-01-003H. He said that he would call Hyundai on Mon, to see what is going on!
The full TSB is on post #1220 if you want to print it off and take it to them, it might help...

BOBNARIZONA

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the wind noise. My Palisade is only 3 weeks old and I have just pasted the 2,000 mile mark. I noticed whistling coming from what I believe is the drivers side mirror area when driving 75 and in cross winds. I don't get the sounds if it is not windy outside. Guess I will have to make an appointment to have the dealer do the repairs.

elp_jc

Reaction score
If it's a 2021, there's nothing to repair. Sounds like your condition is perfectly normal. There's no way a repair would make this SUV silent. It's not even a luxury SUV. It reportedly it's one of the quietest SUVs in its class, but at 75+, you WILL have both road and wind noise coming into the cabin, and the former much worse with rough asphalt. Even my expensive Tesla is quite noisy at elevated speeds, especially with crosswinds (frameless doors are to blame IMO). I bet the Calligraphy will be quieter, but probably not by much. If we want a truly quiet ride, we'd have to get into stupid expensive territory. I've driven Mercedes S classes, and other expensive luxury cars, and they're not that much quieter than the Palisade. That's also why I decided to buy the Palisade instead. I was looking at the GV80, and besides being much smaller inside, it's probably not any quieter, which disappointed me. And that darn thing has noise canceling, supposedly. The problem with the Koreans is more road noise than wind noise IMO.

Mickey

Reaction score
Thanks for post that link Eric2203. Has anyone on the forum had the TSB installed and if so did it decrease the noise?

nld138

Reaction score
Had mine in the 1st of this month and they ordered everything on the new TSB but still waiting for one part to come in so no news yet, will post when they get it in and we'll see. Had a windy day yesterday and was traveling on the highway little over 70mph and held my fingers on the top of the door at the door and seal, when there was good cross wind the top of the door felt like it would bowed (sucked) out away from the seal. So the upper door seal at the back corner of the door they show might get rid of some of mine, fingers still crossed.

Bonanza

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the wind noise. My Palisade is only 3 weeks old and I have just pasted the 2,000 mile mark. I noticed whistling coming from what I believe is the drivers side mirror area when driving 75 and in cross winds. I don't get the sounds if it is not windy outside. Guess I will have to make an appointment to have the dealer do the repairs.
I just had my 2020 Palisade in for that horrible whistling noise under warranty. It was a kit for the mirrors. Test drove it on a windy day & it fixed the problem. Still have road & normal wind noise but no longer the high pitched whistling.

Bonanza

Reaction score
If it's a 2021, there's nothing to repair. Sounds like your condition is perfectly normal. There's no way a repair would make this SUV silent. It's not even a luxury SUV. It reportedly it's one of the quietest SUVs in its class, but at 75+, you WILL have both road and wind noise coming into the cabin, and the former much worse with rough asphalt. Even my expensive Tesla is quite noisy at elevated speeds, especially with crosswinds (frameless doors are to blame IMO). I bet the Calligraphy will be quieter, but probably not by much. If we want a truly quiet ride, we'd have to get into stupid expensive territory. I've driven Mercedes S classes, and other expensive luxury cars, and they're not that much quieter than the Palisade. That's also why I decided to buy the Palisade instead. I was looking at the GV80, and besides being much smaller inside, it's probably not any quieter, which disappointed me. And that darn thing has noise canceling, supposedly. The problem with the Koreans is more road noise than wind noise IMO.
It's not just "wind noise". It a loud high pitch whistling noise. There is a kit for the side mirrors that fixed the problem in my case.