Wind noise and buffering in Hyundai Palisade

Welcome to the Ad-Free Palisade community!

Paid for 100% by Sal, the webmaster. Click register to join us!

Alan_F

Reaction score
I hear you. I completely understand that way more people come online to complain than to speak positively about anything. It’s difficult to fully grasp the frequency of this wind issue with so many trolls
It seems to me that Raggedy1 was calling you a troll. That seems to be his modus operandi in response to anyone mentioning problems with the Palisade.

raggedy1

Reaction score
No I wasn’t Alan and everyone here seems smart enough to realize I wasn’t referring to Debating when I called out a troll

Not sure why I’m even taking your bait but I will: you are a troll. You hang around here trying to sound like you’re a valuable contributor to this auto forum when all you pretty much do is look for fights.

You add you’re 2 cents and since you don’t even own a Pali that’s all you are worth to the forum.

I’ve never done this before but I’m going to see if there is an IGNORE feature so I can block you’re worthless posts. Nobody needs an internet troll doing nothing but trying to ignite others’ ire for shits and giggles.

Pitiful

Alan_F

Reaction score
No I wasn’t Alan and everyone here seems smart enough to realize I wasn’t referring to Debating when I called out a troll

Not sure why I’m even taking your bait but I will: you are a troll. You hang around here trying to sound like you’re a valuable contributor to this auto forum when all you pretty much do is look for fights.

You add you’re 2 cents and since you don’t even own a Pali that’s all you are worth to the forum.

I’ve never done this before but I’m going to see if there is an IGNORE feature so I can block you’re worthless posts. Nobody needs an internet troll doing nothing but trying to ignite others’ ire for shits and giggles.

Pitiful
Yes, there is an ignore feature. Just click on my avatar/icon and you can set me to ignore. I personally don't believe you about you intentions regarding of whether you called him a troll, because you did not reply to his post, as you would have if you were giving him advice.

I am not hanging out here for any other reason than I am seriously considering getting a Palisade. My plans (and needs) have been delayed because of COVID-19. I currently own a Hyundai Genesis.

G

G-70931

maybe i’m calling it the wrong word? it’s like that helicopter noise that happens when you crack open one back window. the problem is the sound is very light and muted and not everyone is as sensitive to the pressure. and if you are on a road with a lot of noise, bumps like the route they test drive then it may be hard to hear. I asked for them to ride with me so I can replicate it for them but they were not receptive of that. I will reapproach this but I am hoping the wind noise correction will correct it. in the meantime next time i’m near them I will find a route that I can hover at 35-37 or 55-57. every time my ears bother me it’s that range of speeds every time. they test drive in a congested area with a lot of stoplights

You aren't the only one. We have a 2020 Limited with 8,000 miles and experience the same sound. It's subtle but I notice it as similar speeds.

Cvirtuous

Reaction score
I have over 9000 on my 2020 SEL and it is horrible and the higher the speed it starts to whistle. It going back to the shop next week. I have been in contact with cooperate office and they are trying to fix this issue. I had a used 2006 Escalade and never had any problems like I have with this one.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
personally I believe it might be the mirrors causing turbulence and noise.

while I didn't hear any excessive noise IMO on my 400 mile drive back from the dealer. I did experience an issue where the windows would not go up into the track at highway speed, it bowed outward and required me to pull over on the shoulder to get it to roll up.

I had it down as I entered the highway, once I merged and was doing about 70-75mph i attempted to roll it up and experienced this issue.

back 10 or so years ago, Lexus was experiencing the noise and bowing issues on several models of their vehicles, as a fix they started including these "fins" on the cars on the headlights, taillights, and around the mirrors:

1614033324119.png

the issue was gone after that. Lexus reported that there was a 8 decibel drop in the interior cabin noise as a result of adding these "fins" they even now make replacement caps for the older vehicles affected so owners can install them to eliminate the noise. the are clip in and it takes 30 seconds to replace the original flat caps.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and even GM have started to incorporate similar fin designs into various areas of these vehicles to reduce cabin noise and wind turbulence.

My Genesis G80 had these as well; I never experienced and noise or window issues, the G90s did not, and many G90 people have complained about noise and the windows bowing at high speeds when attempting to roll them up.

I found some aftermarket PVC 3m stick on fins that mimic this design I am going to install and see if this helps with the window bowing issue, if there is a reduction in wind noise it is a win-win

quote from Lexus engineering:

Constrictions like the gaps between door mounted mirrors and the door frame cause air to accelerate (Bernoulli effect), meaning that the air going though that gap is even more prone to shed vortices at a frequency that we can hear. This fin acts to calm the air, forcing it in a straighter path, disrupting the vortices.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Palisade? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Alan_F

Reaction score
Constrictions like the gaps between door mounted mirrors and the door frame cause air to accelerate (Bernoulli effect), meaning that the air going though that gap is even more prone to shed vortices at a frequency that we can hear. This fin acts to calm the air, forcing it in a straighter path, disrupting the vortices.
That is exactly what happens in downtown Chicago (the windy city) when the high winds come off Lake Michigan. In order for the winds to snake around the tall buildings, it has to move faster to travel the longer distance, and the wind downtown can be brutal sometimes.

djmclean13

Reaction score
That is exactly what happens in downtown Chicago (the windy city) when the high winds come off Lake Michigan. In order for the winds to snake around the tall buildings, it has to move faster to travel the longer distance, and the wind downtown can be brutal sometimes.
I think you are absolutely right. I actually videod and recorded the wind nose. I also gave the video to the dealer. The conditions I found were about 78 mph, headwind coming from an angle. Sounds a little like the noise when you blow over a beverage bottle only a lot louder. Pretty much impossible for the dealer to verify. Please share the link to that little piece. I am confident you have solved the Palisade's noise issue. 👍👍

Rich

Reaction score
I finally got the Main Hyundai Customer Care involved in mine. Was assigned someone to deal with me and the dealer. The dealer looked at it and found something with the window trim being mm's off the setting and it was allowing the windows to vibrate at a very high frequency at higher speeds. Not sure if this will help anyone, but it seems to have fixed the issue I was having. still have slight wind air noise but it's not anywhere near the level of the vibrating window trim noise.

steelers

Reaction score
I finally got the Main Hyundai Customer Care involved in mine. Was assigned someone to deal with me and the dealer. The dealer looked at it and found something with the window trim being mm's off the setting and it was allowing the windows to vibrate at a very high frequency at higher speeds. Not sure if this will help anyone, but it seems to have fixed the issue I was having. still have slight wind air noise but it's not anywhere near the level of the vibrating window trim noise.
Something I have mentioned for a year...the. windows vibrate...and are too thin..

Pdor

Reaction score
Wife complained about a rumble she was hearing on our 2 day old 2021. Eventually I turn off the stereo/ radio and the sound went away. Had it set on sounds of nature when the rumbling noise occurred but the volume was low but sensed rumble was from sub woofer I believe.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Reaction score
My Palisade
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
I think you are absolutely right. I actually videod and recorded the wind nose. I also gave the video to the dealer. The conditions I found were about 78 mph, headwind coming from an angle. Sounds a little like the noise when you blow over a beverage bottle only a lot louder. Pretty much impossible for the dealer to verify. Please share the link to that little piece. I am confident you have solved the Palisade's noise issue. 👍👍

Bonanza

Reaction score
Is anybody else experiencing a very loud wind noise on the driver side of the car at higher speeds. Mine is so loud it hurts my ears. I am going to take it to the dealer, but wondered if anyone else was experiencing it or took it into the dealer.
Yes, same here. Horrendous wind noise from our driver window. Just got this 2020 a few days ago & on the highway drive home, I was ready to turn around & ask for my money back. Took it to the local Hyundai dealer & was told it was an issue. I had video recorded the noise. They ordered some parts (i believe it has something to do with side mirror???) I will update when it has been repaired. I was told it fixed the problem on the others that they had in for this problem.

steelers

Reaction score
Yes, same here. Horrendous wind noise from our driver window. Just got this 2020 a few days ago & on the highway drive home, I was ready to turn around & ask for my money back. Took it to the local Hyundai dealer & was told it was an issue. I had video recorded the noise. They ordered some parts (i believe it has something to do with side mirror???) I will update when it has been repaired. I was told it fixed the problem on the others that they had in for this problem.
This should be interesting....

Pali_Sash

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum, I have scheduled appt to fix this. This noise drives me crazy, to the point that I rented a car for long distance driving....
I am surprised Hyundai did not contact me and others to have this fixed. Honda dealership was always on top of recalls and fixes (should I go back to Honda?)....

saxman242

Reaction score
I am surprised Hyundai did not contact me and others to have this fixed. Honda dealership was always on top of recalls
They're required to contact you regarding recalls. They never contact regarding TSBs. If there ends up being a recall on the Palisade, you'll get contacted about that too.

nld138

Reaction score
Hello All.... Thanks for all the information and to do's on the wind noise it has helped dealing with the service dept. On my 3rd trip to the dealer with the noise issue and having a answers for all their suggested problems they thought it was. I was advised when I picked it up that there is another TSB they found that just came out (same as posted be Z #1216). I requested and they gave me a copy of the whole Bulletin which shows parts to order and instructions on the installation of them, Here is a copy of it hopefully will help some of you without a helpful service Dept. Good luck and will post later after the parts arrive and installed on how quiet the car turned out.. Fingers crossed 1618369279297.png 1618369355842.png 1618369552176.png 1618369591333.png 1618369631848.png 1618369688731.png